New Listing: Historic Offering in Friendship Estates

Friendship House” (formerly “The Manor House” c. 1890)

CLICK HERE FOR PROPERTY PHOTOS AND VIDEO TOUR

Friendship House, formerly known as The Manor House, was originally built in 1890. Situated atop the highest point in Charles County, this home had a commanding view of the 2,000 gently rolling acres that were once part of the original farm. Over the past 130 years, many changes have been made to the existing residence including the addition of modern indoor plumbing, replacement of porches, several interior renovations, and an expansion of the living and entertainment areas.

The major remodel preserves as much of the original structure as possible and expands the interior view of the spectacular countryside that surrounds the home. The transformation blends the period architecture, exquisite charm, and additional space while retaining the history of the property and maintaining its character.

History

The original 2000-acre tract of land, comprised of Friendship Estates and all of Laurel Branch, was a working farm.  The complex included the residence, part of which housed a grocery store, and several outbuildings.  The old road to Charles County once ran along the east side of Manor House and the present one-story office building was a filling station.  The mature English Boxwoods were probably planted when the original house was built. The most recent expansion transforms the home to its original position as the Grand Manor House among the newly established estate homes that now grace the remaining part of the farm. 

Recent Addition (2004)

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is main-level-great-room-_dsc9341.jpg
The Great Room, Spectacular views over Laurel Branch valley

The major remodel preserves as much of the original structure as possible and expands the interior view of the spectacular countryside that surrounds the home.  The transformation blends the period architecture, exquisite charm, and additional space while retaining the history of the property and maintaining its character. 

The large west facing two-story Great Room rests atop a full basement adding over 1600 square feet for entertaining.  With two levels of windows, guests are treated with a sweeping panorama of the rolling countryside and beautiful sunsets, giving one the feeling of being inside and outside at once.  The curved stairway leads to the balcony or mezzanine level that both ties the main second floor to the new addition and provides more lovely views of the scenery outside.

Architectural Materials

The building products were selected to provide a seamless transition between old and new, matching the historical architectural features of the original Manor Home.  The interior columns pair nicely with the magnificent columns on the front of the home that welcomed weary travelers years ago.  The masonry fireplace features a custom-built mantel so, when entertaining, guests can relax by the fireplace and enjoy the view. Flanking the fireplace are recessed coves containing built-in bookcases.  The hot water radiant floor system provides efficient heating for this voluminous room.

Landscaping

Aerial View

Landscaping has been enhanced over the years with the addition of many beautiful flowering trees, gardens, and plantings including boxwoods, azaleas, rose bushes, and tulips.  Garden patios grace the front portico, and the event pavilion (also used as a summer kitchen) offers a garden view from all sides.  The entrance area to Friendship House is gracefully lined with flowering Bradford Pear trees and blooming impatiens during the summer months.

MLS# MDCH214146 List Price: $750,000

Gated Entrance to 9325 Bensville Road, Waldorf, MD 20603