Tips for Maintaining Your Home in Spring
If you’re like me, you’re always happy to see warm weather arrive so you can enjoy not only the inside of your home, but the outside too.
You’ll get even more enjoyment if your house is in good repair, and you have taken measures to address the effects of severe winter weather. These are a few suggestions I’ve pulled together for repairing any damage winter may have caused and gearing up for summer:
- Check outdoor spigots for leaks: If you didn’t drain your outdoor water spigots before the weather got cold, ice could have expanded the pipes to the point of bursting. Call a professional to have it checked out if you think you could have a leak, before you end up with a big water bill or damage to your home.
- Reseal exterior woodwork: Extend the life of your decks, fences, railings and other wooden structures by resealing every year or two. Be sure to scrub or pressure-wash them first.
- Check your roof and gutters: Heat, wind, debris and ice can do a lot of damage up there. Get the roof checked to see if water has gotten to the underlying plywood. Also, have your gutters cleaned before summer to keep your roof in good shape and ensure proper drainage away from your house.
- Get your air conditioning system tuned up: Have an HVAC professional clean the unit and change filters. This will help keep the system working efficiently, saving you money on energy bills and prolonging the life of the equipment.
- Have a chimney check-up: Debris can collect inside and become a fire hazard. End the cold weather season by having a professional clean, inspect and make sure your chimney is in good repair.
- Head off insects and pests: Keep grass short, and remove weeds and wood piles from your yard. Keep shrubs trimmed away from any patio and play areas. Look around for termites too and, if you see any swarming around, get a professional to treat the area.
If you’re not sure who to call for any of these items, I am happy to provide referrals to some of the skilled professionals I work with or who have been pre-screened through my partners at Long & Foster’s Home Service Connections.
Additionally, if you are interested in knowing how much your home is worth, I would be delighted to provide you with a FREE competitive market analysis. I look forward to hearing from you and, as always, please do not hesitate to contact me for any other real estate question or need.
Hope you have a wonderful summer!!